Second Time’s a Charm

Haley Grether, Staff Writer

As the saying goes, one will always find their way back home.

Deshia Harris, English teacher is returning to Bullitt East after a year long break.

There were many reasons as to why Harris came back to East. The main reason that she left in the first place was to help her kids move into college. Harris as well as the other teachers at East will be adjusting to the change shortly.

Harris, who is one of the two English teachers in the freshman academy, is very excited to finally continue her teaching career after her year away. “It became obvious to me that I miss teaching and it seemed like a great time to come back,” said Harris.

As principal, Chris Mason had quite the hand in helping Harris return to Bullitt East. “It was during the transition between Mr. Foster going out as principal and me coming in; we reviewed applicants, interviewed, and we were able to make the decision,” said Mason.

Harris had to undergo not only the basic questions asked in the interview to become a Charger, but she also had to take a 100 question test. This was different from the previous interview process that Harris remembered taking the first time she applied to work at Bullitt East. The test not only included questions covering the subject of English, but also many concerning other subjects like mathematics and science. This overwhelmed Harris because she wasn’t expecting to be questioned about topics other than what the job required.

Not only is Harris extremely excited about what this upcoming year of teaching has in store, but so are many other teachers and students that have a part in the english department here at Bullitt East. “She’s going to make us even more awesome than what we already are,” said Laura Pierce English II teacher.

Though teaching freshmen is very new to Harris and may present a bit of a challenge, she and most of her students seem very enthusiastic for class this year. Zackary Jenkins, one of the students in Harris’ class is very excited to be having her as his English teacher. “She expands on all teaching styles; she actually did a test to see what we were most like and she’s expanding to everybody’s learning styles,” said Jenkins.

photoshop teacher photoshop class emptyphotoshop- students photoshop- teacher workingEven principal Mason has nothing but good words to say about Harris coming back. “She is an outstanding teacher and has been a vital part of Bullitt East in years past,” said Mason. This year Harris will be working along with Vanessa Gallahue; the other english teacher in the Freshman Academy. They hope to prepare the current freshman students for their upper level English classes for the upcoming school years.