The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Support our Advertisers:

Michael Brangers: East’s New Assistant Principal

Michael+Brangers+during+his+time+as+Bullitt+Easts+soccer+coach.+
Photo via: Keith Rodriguez
Michael Brangers during his time as Bullitt East’s soccer coach.

Brangers is leaving the classroom and exploring new horizons.

Michael Brangers takes on a new role as assistant principal after years of teaching at Bullitt East.

Prior to his new role, Brangers spent years in the classroom. After retiring from coaching, he realized he wanted to pursue a new position in our school. “I did not think I wanted to be in a school leadership position most of my career, but after I retired from coaching I needed a change. I loved the classroom but wanted a change in my role here at Bullitt East. I enrolled in a leadership program at UL and then the AP job came open. It was faster than I expected but I feel like this job is the next step in my educational career,” Brangers said. He believes that his past experience will help him as he builds relationships with both other staff members and students.

With Brangers taking on this new job, a teaching position opened up. His classes have been left with substitutes until they can find a permanent replacement. “That’s one of the things that’s unfortunate, it’s a blessing and a curse. He’s obviously become a great administrator, but the reality is he’s left the classroom. We’re lucky to have a lot of people who are very qualified to be teachers who are willing to step in for a long term substitute type of situation,” Nate Fulghum said. Despite these challenges, classes have been able to continue.

Despite his work continuing in the same environment, Brangers has faced many new challenges. “The number of responsibilities has increased dramatically. I was unaware of all the stuff an assistant principal is responsible for. I still have a lot to learn and hope to be more comfortable in this new role by spring break,” Brangers said. His new position leaves him in charge of not only students, but other staff members too.

Going forward, Brangers hopes to leave an impact on the school. “I’m learning something new everyday. I hope to have a positive impact by keeping students safe, providing support for the teachers, and always representing Bullitt East as a great school in our community and state,” Brangers said. He’s also taken a lead with the school’s construction project, hoping to guide it to completion.