Choir’s Upcoming Singing Success

Abbie Alstatt, Copy and Website Editor

“Bop, bop, bop, bop to the top.”

Choir is back again this year, lead by none other than Ms. Carrie Gary.

Classes and after school activities are a big portion of what choir is, and this year there are some changes. Of course, there are multiple events planned throughout the year, but no big trips. Gary has high hopes and expectations for this year overall.

There are two choir classes: concert choir and advanced choir. For the last three years, advanced choir has been during 1st period, and that’s not changing. But this year, concert choir follows right behind it during 2nd period. Gary is excited, “You would think it’s morning and everyone is real tired, but it’s like we’re more focused.” Concert choir is made up of about 80% freshmen, 10% sophomores, and 10% upperclassmen; with a lot of good returning sophomores. “It is an awesome, awesome concert choir,” said Gary.

Advanced choir usually consists of upperclassmen, but this year there are two freshmen students and some sophomores. The neat thing about advanced choir this year is that everyone in the class auditioned for their spot, and Gary got to hand-pick the class. “I got to balance my numbers, it was so nice… Advanced choir should kind of be amazing,” said Gary.

Aside from the actual classes, choir is known for two after school clubs, Charger Chicks and Chamber Chorale. But, the latter is actually not happening this year, at least not right now. Gary explained that not enough tenor-based voices were available after school to make a complete and balanced group. “Chamber Chorale has always been the very best of the best, but I was able to put that in advanced choir so it seemed a little redundant ‘cause it would be the exact same people,” said Gary. It could be a possibility after marching band season is over because a few people who are committed to that have shown interest, but it would definitely be a smaller group than it has been in the past. On the other hand, Charger Chicks is very much alive and strong this year, consisting of 18 students.

But, probably the biggest part of choir is concerts because they showcase all of the students’ and Gary’s hard work. Every concert is important, but Kentucky Music Educators Association (KMEA) is special, “The highlight of our year is KMEA contest which is in April… That’s where we work for ‘cause we go and get graded,” said Gary. Last year, advanced choir received straight distinguished, “which is everything”, said choir senior Alyssa Hooper.

As far as fun events this year, a musical is most likely being planned. Last year, choir took a trip to New York City, but this year isn’t the same. Hooper said, “She (Gary) likes to alternate between a trip and a musical every year.” They might also go to Kings Island on a day-trip for Music in the Parks which is open to elementary, middle, and high school student groups, allowing them to perform for judges in a special atmosphere.

Overall, Gary is enthusiastic about the whole year and everything that is to come, “It’s gonna be awesome.” She’s anxious to see how everyone steps up and shows their leadership musically and behaviorally. So far, this year is looking really good. Gary said, “If we just keep up the progress, we’ll be unbelievable just because we’re starting so strong.” Her students are no exception, choir senior Gabriella King said, “I think that there is going to be a lot of positivity and a lot accomplished, simply because of the people in it (choir) this year.”

To anyone curious about how to get involved with choir, the spring musical is a great way. As well as coming out to their concerts to show support!