Honoring All of Those Who Serve

Lauryn Smith, Staff Writer

Holding up flags for the ones who served.

This year Veterans Day is celebrated on Friday, November 11. It was first celebrated on November 11, 1919. However, it became an official holiday in the U.S. in 1938. Veterans Day was first known as Armistice Day, but the title was changed in the aftermath of World War II and the Korean War.  It was celebrated on this day because it was the first anniversary of the end of World War I.

On Veterans Day, students gathered in the gym for an assembly. Members of JROTC began the ceremony by carrying flags into the gym and walking the veterans and their families into the gym. The veterans were recognized by standing when their branches of the military were called.

At the assembly, Lieutenant Commander gave his speech by showing his gratitude and how important Veterans Day is to him.  He also encourages students to make good decisions.  “When I look at the flag I see freedom, veterans, the colors red, white, and blue. I see the people,” said Lieutenant Commander.

Veterans Day contributes to all the soldiers, men and women, who have died or who are living.  It especially honors those who served their country during peacetime or war.  The holiday shows respect for the people who were willing to give their lives to protect Americans safety and rights. Donald McGlasson, the JROTC teacher, was a member of the United States Army for 40 years, one month, and 11 days. “To me, it means honoring those who have honorably served our nation,” said McGlasson.

“I think it [serving in the army] made me a stronger member of the community. It certainly gave me the opportunity to learn the skills to teach JROTC. I believe it gave me more self- awareness of our place in the country and the world because I’ve served all over the world and until you’ve been there, you don’t appreciate this place,” said McGlasson.

Some of the upcoming JROTC events are a dining out and Memorial Day. For Memorial Day, McGlasson wants to instead of celebrating their service, remembering their service.