The Heisman is Coming to The Ville

Lamar+Jackson+giving+his+acceptance+speech+after+being+announced+the+winner.+

Zach Combest

Lamar Jackson giving his acceptance speech after being announced the winner.

Zach Combest, Business Editor

And the winner of the 2016 Heisman is Lamar Jackson, of the University of Louisville.

Jackson, Louisville quarterback, won the highest award in college sports, the Heisman Trophy on December 10 in New York City.

The Florida native is the first football player from the University of Louisville to win the Heisman Trophy and he is the youngest winner at the age of 19. Jackson gave a raw and emotional acceptance speech after he was announced the winner. The road to this award was a one to remember for Cardinal fans and college football fans.

Jackson won the award with 2,144 points; Deshaun Watson, Clemson quarterback  finished second with 1,524. Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield (361 points), Sooners running back Dede Westbrook (209) and Michigan all-around star Jabrill Peppers (208) placed third through fifth, respectively. Jackson received 79.5 percent of possible points received, the fifth-highest total in the past 50 seasons of Heisman voting, while the gap between Watson and Mayfield was the largest in the past 70 years. Among quarterbacks, he ran for an Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)-best 1,538 yards, rushed for 21 touchdowns (second in FBS), posted a Total QBR of 86.6 (third), and recorded 4,928 yards of total offense (second).

Jackson is the third player in FBS history — joining Cam Newton and Tim Tebow — with 30 passing touchdowns and 20 rushing touchdowns in a season. He set Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and school records for touchdowns responsible (51) in a season and yards in a single game (610, vs. Syracuse), plus school records for most single-season rushing yards (1,538) and most touchdowns in a single game (eight), and he became the first quarterback in school history with a 1,000-yard rushing season.

He just beat 2013 winner Jameis Winston as the youngest athlete to win the Heisman by five days. He is also just the fourth sophomore to take home the trophy. He joins Johnny Manziel, the 2012 winner, as the only Heisman winners to throw for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a season. Quarterbacks have dominated the Heisman Trophy, winning 14 of the past 16 years.

His acceptance speech was in front of a large audience and millions of people watching him on T.V. Jackson had a speech prepared, but he stopped at various points to say, “This is crazy.” Jackson started his speech by giving credit to Jesus Christ and then talked about his amazing journey and thanked everyone that helped him in life, on and off the field. At one point in the speech he started crying and said that his teammates Brandon Radcliff and James Hearns said he would probably cry.

The sophomore quarterback credited his mother, Felicia Jones, and said the trophy will go anywhere she decides to put it. Jones raised Jackson as a single mom and would put on football pads to help her son work on his game when he was a kid.

Louisville ran through the ACC and Jackson tore up the stat sheets. Jackson won ACC Player of the Year honors from the media and coaches, and he took home the Walter Camp Player of the Year and Maxwell Award.

Even though the last two games of the season didn’t end as the Cardinals expected, Jackson and the team will be going to the Citrus Bowl game against LSU and Jackson will be the star in the spotlight as they look for another bowl game win.