Carmelo Trade Talk

KeithAllisonPhoto.com

Carmelo Anthony (CC: Creative Commons)

Jaydrien Jarrett, Staff Writer

Carmelo Anthony might soon be having a change in scenery.

The New York Knicks are looking to trade NBA All-star player, Anthony.

Anthony has been playing on the New York Knicks for six years and has not had much success with the franchise. Anthony was traded to the Knicks from the Denver Nuggets with hopes to win a championship for New York. Anthony currently has a no trade clause on his contract, so he can decide what team he wants to go to. The Knicks are looking to rebuild and do not plan to have Anthony in their rebuilding stage.

The Knicks have had Anthony since the 2011 season. He has not had much success with the team as he has only had one playoff run with the team. When Anthony was first traded to the team he was an All-star player with high potential. On Anthony’s first year with the Knicks he was 26 and  averaged 26.3 PPG (points per game). Anthony is now 32 and is averaging 23.0 PPG, but the knicks don’t see him keeping these stats for much longer.

Kristaps Porzingis, the Knicks starting Power Forward, is in his sophomore season in the NBA and already has high hopes to becoming an NBA star. The Knicks would have to rebuild around Porzingis unless they got a good trade for Anthony. Porzingis is currently averaging 18.6 PPG and may be able to score more without Anthony on the team.

Anthony’s no trade clause on his contract will certainly determine if he gets traded or not. Anthony has narrowed it down to just a few teams that he wants to be traded to. Anthony said he would only accept a trade to the Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers and the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Knicks have already offered the Cleveland Cavaliers a trade, Anthony for Kevin Love, but the Cavaliers have declined the trade as they have no plan to trade Love. The Knicks could trade Anthony to the Celtics. The Celtics have a lot of assets in the NBA draft including the Brooklyn Nets 2017 and 2018 first round draft pick, which are both projected to be a lottery pick.

(All Statistics and Information found at ESPN)