Softball Sixth Region Player of the Year: Taylor Roby

Pitcher+Taylor+Roby+vs.+Mercy+in+the+district+championship+game.+

Zach Combest

Pitcher Taylor Roby vs. Mercy in the district championship game.

Zach Combest, Website Executive Editor

Pitching and hitting her way to the top honor in the sixth region.

Senior pitcher Taylor Roby was named the sixth region player of the year this week.

Roby had a successful junior year in the pitcher’s circle and in the batter’s box for the Lady Chargers. This isn’t the first award Roby has won this season; as she was also named to the Metro of Louisville All- Area first team. Roby has overcome many challenges this season to reach this goal and outcome.

Roby is honored to be selected as the sixth region player of the year. “My parents were very proud of me and my team was very supportive of me winning the award,” said Roby. She tallied 263 strikeouts and 11 homeruns this season. Roby believes what separated her from the other competitors for the sixth region player of the year award was not only because of her strong pitching, but because she is also a very good hitter. Roby had 34 RBIs (runs batted in) this season. Her junior year hasn’t been the only stand out season for her, as she had a successful sophomore year on the softball field. She has been committed to the University of Louisville softball team since her sophomore season.

Pullquote Photo

I’m honored to be named player of the year.

— Taylor Roby

Roby was also selected to the All Star team for the sixth region this week. The sixth region team will be playing against  the seventh region All Star team on June 14 at Bellarmine University. Fellow Lady Chargers teammates, Hannah Dahl and Lindsay Renneisen will be playing with Roby in the All Star game.

Roby was also selected to the Metro of Louisville All Area first team. “I was excited because I knew I would be able to see Mia Hamm,” said Roby. With all of these honors, Roby plans on continuing to play softball during the off-season as she will play in Texas, Kansas, Colorado, and California with her travel team, the Louisville Sluggers.

“I like the post season honors, but I wish we had won district; that would have been a greater reward,” said Roby. The Bullitt East Lady Chargers fell in the district championship game to Mercy 2-0 after the game went to 13 innings. Roby pitched the whole game and the game lasted for three hours. The Lady Chargers finished the season 22 and 11.

After a strong showing in the district tournament, the Lady Chargers came into the sixth region tournament ready to win and fight. They defeated North Bullitt in the first round in a blowout, 17-1. They lost in the sixth region tournament to Butler High School in the semifinals at Ulmer Stadium on the campus of the University of Louisville on May 31 by a final score of 6-0. “The season overall went pretty good. My goal was for us to win districts and hopefully get to state,” said Roby. Even though they didn’t make it to the state tournament, the Lady Chargers had a good season and Roby led the team in the pitcher’s circle with strong outings. Congratulations on a good season and all of the awards.