Board of Education’s Monthly Business Meeting

Kim Houchin, Editor-in-Chief

The times, they are a-changin’.

The monthly business meeting of Oct. 23 included details that prelude many upcoming changes to Bullitt County.

The meeting started at 6 p.m. sharp, beginning with the typical Pledge of Allegiance, the reading of the Board Team Commitments and the reminder to sign up to address the board. The first presentation included a new learning strategy at Old Mill Elementary School called Franklin Academy. This new way of teaching includes more group work and more individual paced learning. It focuses more on teaching the students to learn rather than to test. The new program was presented by Les McIntosh and Kim Thornsberry.

The next presentation was brief. It focused on the progress of Bullitt Lick Middle School’s new renovations on the gym door. This was also headed by McIntosh.

The third and final presentation was also brief. Phil Eason lead the discussion by stating that deadlines are flexible and that applications for a new superintendent will be due by mid Dec.

One of the biggest discussions was lead by a concerned parent who had been to the Board multiple times over zoning and redistricting issues. She did not give her name. According to the parent, she was concerned with overpopulation within local middle schools such as Old Mill and Mount Washington Middle. There will be 600 new homes built near Bullitt East and she is concerned for the children that will be attending the schools in the local area.

When the Board informed her that they can not reach a decision by themselves at the moment, the parent became frustrated. “You aren’t getting hurt, the kids are getting hurt,” she said. Davis responded that he had introduced a plan of redistricting and that she had been the one to shut the plan down. The Board concluded that they would meet again and discuss it further at the next meeting.

The meeting finished with a discussion over a new computer science teaching position at ROC lead by Lee Barger. Barger discussed the amazing world of computer science and the endless possibilities that the profession can hold. The Board agreed that it was a great idea to implement computer science as a career pathway.