Senior Night in Charger Nation

Senior Cameron Trees during senior night.

Zach Combest, Website Editor

Once a Charger, always a Charger.

The football team held senior night on Oct. 27 as they took on Christian Academy of Louisville (CAL).

The senior night ceremony was held before the game in the pouring down rainfall. The color guard, marching band, golf and cross country team seniors were recognized during the ceremony too. This was a special and emotional night for all the seniors as this was the last home football game of the year and one of the last times they would be playing in a Bullitt East uniform.

The Chargers played the last home game of the season on Friday and mother nature wasn’t on their side as it rainied all night. The rain caused the field to be muddy and make the passing game a struggle. The 14 senior football players walked out in front of the small crowd of parents and students with their family. It was a special night for the seniors. “It went alright, but most of the seniors weren’t playing or got taken out of the game due to injuries. It was extremely cold and rainy that night so that was bad too. We also had to play Christian Academy, who is the number one team in the state in Class 2A. Other than all that, it was still special because most of us have been playing football all our lives and for most of us it all ends this year so they wanted to send us out with something special,” said senior football player Clay Williams.

The underclassmen football players did many things to prepare for senior night to make that night special for the upperclassmen. “They hung up posters, painted our numbers in the end zone, put names on the field, and had our parents walk us out on the track where they had an announcer talk about what we’ve accomplished and what our future plans are,” said Williams. He will be joining the Navy after high school.

The football team wasn’t the only people honored on Friday night. The marching band, color guard, golf team and cross country team seniors were recognized as their seasons are ending this fall. “Senior night was very emotional because it hit me that this was my last home game I would watch as a student in Charger Nation. I feel kind bad about my senior friends on the football team because of the turnout and weather, but they performed very well,” said senior golfer Ryan Gaddie.

Senior color guard, Patience Robison was one of the color guard member that were recognized. “Senior night sucked, honestly. No one was there to see/hear about all the athletes, it was like 30 degrees and rainy, and it was miserable,” said Robison.

Color guard has impacted Robison like the other sports impacted their athletes. “Color guard impacted my senior year by teaching me how to handle tough situations and how to make the best out of what you have,” said Robison. The Marching Band and Color Guard made it to the state competition and finished in eighth place on Oct. 28 at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.

Many seasons are coming to an end like the cross country season. Senior Meredith Thornsberry is the only senior on the team this year. The last cross country meet was held on Oct. 27 at Tanglewood Golf Course. Senior night is a time to honor the student athletes and celebrate their accomplishments and their senior year.

Thornsberry and the girls cross country team is going to the state tournament this Saturday Nov. 4 in Lexington, KY. “Well my favorite memory now is hearing our name called for the state meet! It’s great knowing that I have another week with my team, I am the only senior and the fact that it’s not over yet makes me crazy happy. I’m really just excited to run with my team another time, the state meet course is hilly, therefore it’s not the easiest course, but we’re a really strong team and I think we’ll honestly do pretty good this weekend,” said Thornsberry. Even though her season is not over, she enjoyed the ceremony and she’s aiming for the state title to finish off her last year wearing a Bullitt East jersey.