Testing to Graduate

Haley Grether

The KYOTE online testing has been taking place this week at East.

Haley Grether, Copy Editor

First, take the KYOTE, then meet benchmarks for the ACT.

This week, students at East spent time preparing to be college ready by taking the KYOTE test.

Students within this school and other schools around the state participated in this free online placement exam. So far, they have taken the English, math and reading tests. The KYOTE test is for Kentucky high school seniors who have failed to meet their ACT benchmarks in reading, mathematics and/or English.

The acronym (KYOTE) stands for the Kentucky online testing system, which is, a test used by many high school students across Kentucky to ensure that they are college ready and set for graduation. This online placement exam is used to measure the preparedness for college-level learning in the three main subjects, which include, writing, reading, and mathematics. It is not required to take all three tests, just the ones that are needed.

If the student passes the exam, they are considered to be college ready by the Kentucky Department Of Education. Senior Haley Faulkner participated in taking the mathematics section of the test. “It was easier than the ACT. I wasn’t as stressed when I was taking it, as I was when I was taking the ACT,” said Faulkner.

Unlike the ACT, the KYOTE test allows immediate results. This online exam is similar to the familiar CERT Test in this way. Students are able to see if they have passed the test or not right after completing the exam.

Senior Alissa Broell also participated in taking the mathematics version of the KYOTE. “Being in trans math we practice the problems that can potentially be on the KYOTE. However, I think that the KYOTE was a lot more difficult than we had practiced for, and I would much rather take the ACT since the problems on the ACT are a lot less complicated,” said Broell.

The KYOTE test is a nice and easy alternative for those who weren’t able to meet benchmarks, but still, wish to graduate. But sometimes it’s not for everyone.