Staffing Reductions Strike Bullitt County

Bullitt+East+High+schools+college+and+career+center%2C+which+holds+many+of+the+pathway+classes+that+are+offered.+

Bullitt East High school’s college and career center, which holds many of the pathway classes that are offered.

Morgan Renneisen, Staff Writer

Reductions and confusion hit schools as budget cuts come into play for Bullitt County.

Budget cuts and staffing reductions have been decided on for the 2018-19 school year.

Staffing reductions and budget cuts can make an impact on schools, whether they are very significant or small changes. Teachers and administrators play important roles in students education all around Bullitt County. When certain factors are thrown into the equation, some cuts have to be made.

Staffing reductions and budget cuts in Bullitt County schools have been talked about for a while now. The idea really broadened when Governor Matt Bevin started passing new bills that would affect public education schools all around the state of Kentucky.

The final decision was that three classes are going to be cut next year; a science, business and art class. There has been more than one long-term substitute teacher for science classes for this school year and last. While this cut might affect some in a negative way, it could also help students to get a more well-rounded education in science classes. When it comes to the other cuts, students who want to take a certain art class or go into the business pathway might have some struggles getting into those certain courses if the number of teachers that teach them continues getting lower.

As with the budget cuts, new teachers have been voted into the Site-Based Decision Making  Council to help get the school on the right track. The newest members of the cite-based council are Nate Fulghum, Darrell Vincent, and Trevor Ervin.  

Site-based council member Larry Steinmetz doesn’t like the idea of having to cut teachers and courses. “I know that anytime you have to make cuts, the potential that you’re gonna lose really good teachers is in there, I think this time is certainly no different and I absolutely hate that,” said Steinmetz. Since the population of the school is continuing to grow and staffing reductions are having to be made, Steinmetz thinks that class sizes are going to be larger than they have been for past years.