Football Class Change to 6A

Sophomore Max Gauthier posing in front of the football sign.

Lilly Whitley and Isaiah Jenner

Moving up one class at a time.

The football team will be undergoing a class change from class 5A to 6A.

Due to the increasing enrollment of students, chargers football will go up from class 5A to 6A. This change will take place for the fall of 2019 season. There are mixed feelings about this change.

This class change means we will be in a district with Fern Creek, Male and Southern for four years. This change is taking place as a result of more students enrolling in the school. “They base your class on an average enrollment over a four year period which has consistently gone up. We are now considered to be the top thirty-two schools in the state for enrollment,” said athletic director, Troy Barr.

One bad thing about the class change is although we have a lot of people at our school, the other schools are still bigger. “It kind of sucks because we have a forty to fifty man roster while the other 6A schools have an eighty plus roster. We will have to work a lot harder but hopefully it will help recruit other players,” said sophomore Max Gauthier.

This class change will bring lots of excitement to the charger community. “Those challenges should be exciting for any program especially since we get to play new teams. Being in a district with JCPS schools that we have good relations with should lead to good competition,” said football coach Mark Sander.

Not having to travel a ton is also a good thing about the change. “Another positive is schools are close and travel is not really an issue. Male has been a traditional power in the state and we will have to get better and learn to compete with them. It’s going to make us better,” said Barr.

As a result of this, all three high schools in Bullitt County will all be in different football districts. Many people are excited to see the challenges and fun experiences this change will bring.