Ending the Home Season on a High Note

Tyler Mozingo, Sports Editor

A win on senior night is always that much sweeter. 

The Chargers took on the Southern Trojans on senior night and came out with a 49-7 victory.

The team came into the game with a record of (4-3) looking to send their seniors out with a home victory, and that they did. The Chargers started fast and never let up.

The scoring got started early in the first quarter when senior wide receiver, Luke Reynolds, took a handoff in for the score to go up 7-0. The defense for East was lights out all game as Southern could not get any momentum going.

Junior quarterback Aeron Adams extended the Chargers lead on their second drive with a touchdown pass to freshman wide receiver Camron Brogan to go up 14-0, and that was the score after the first quarter.

The scoring didn’t stop there as senior running back Montrell Page got into the end zone on the handoff, and the Chargers 2-point conversion was successful to go up 22-0 on the Trojans.

The defense was strong all game for East, especially from senior cornerback Cade Miller. Miller intercepted the Southern quarterbacks three times in the game, putting the Chargers in good field position every time.

Junior wide receiver Bryce Clements got in on the act as he caught a touchdown pass from Adams with seven minutes left in the half. Page got in the end zone for the second time in the half as he added another rushing touchdown to the stat sheet.

Page wasn’t done there was the Chargers already led 35-0, he caught a pass from Adams and took it down the sidelines for the score right before the half. The Chargers took a halftime lead of 42-0 into the locker room. At that point, the clock was determined a ‘running clock’ per KHSAA football rules.

Junior wide receiver Daniel Gilbert joined the touchdown party as he caught a pass from Adams and East went up 49-0 and took that lead into the fourth quarter.

The Chargers weren’t able to crack the scoreboard again, and Southern was able to find the end zone once with a rushing touchdown with four minutes left in the game. East won the game 49-7.

The Chargers currently hold a (5-3) record coming down the final stretch of games in the regular season as they only have two left. They will be on the road Friday, Oct. 25, as they will take on district rival, the Male Bulldogs, at 7:30 p.m.