Cross Country Ends Off a Strong Season

The+girl+cross+country+team+take+their+last+picture+in+uniform+for+the+2019+season.+Every+runner+will+be+returning+next+year+and+the+team+looks+to+build+on+their+experience+as+a+team+to+succeed.+

Keelin Davis

The girl cross country team take their last picture in uniform for the 2019 season. Every runner will be returning next year and the team looks to build on their experience as a team to succeed.

Keelin Davis, Copy Editor

All good things must come to an end.

Saturday, Nov. 2, the cross country team competed in the Class AAA Kentucky State Cross Country Meet, marking the end of their season.

The girls recapped a successful season and finished strong. The boys also put an end to an impressive season. The team is happy with where they are for next year.

The highest finishing girl in the state meet was freshman Raelee Hawkins who came in 50th out of 287 girls. She ran her 5k in 20:41.37. After her came junior Emily Tinelli who finished in 89th and ran a 21:26. Finishing close after was sophomore Emma Egan who finished in 92nd. Sophomore Mia Maguire finished 119th. Freshmen Emma Lesher and Shelbi Heath finished in 190th and 227th. “I wish my overall season was better but I was proud of how I finished the season,” said Tinelli.

There were only three boys that competed in the state meet for the team. Out of 299 runners, the top placing for the team was freshman Braydn Russelburg who finished 261st and ran a 19:25.30. Junior Zach Ballard finished 273rd and ran a 19:50.03. The final runner for the team was freshman Lucas O’ Connor who ran a 19:56.26 and finished 279th. 

This season was a great stem into next season for the team. They have high hopes and expectations. “As a group, I think this season made us realize our need for a positive attitude and motivation,” said Tinelli.