Falling Into the Season

Natalie Allen

Senior Hunter Brogan falls in an effort to keep the ball. The team beat Scott Co. 80-69. Brogan said, “I think the first week went really good, we show a lot of potential and things are only going to get better.”

Morgan Harbolt, Executive Editor

Scott County who?

The boys basketball team took on Scott Co. and left the night on a high note.

The Chargers started off their season opener at home. After the first week of the games they feel ready for the rest of the season. They prepare to take on the second week of the season.

Tuesday, Dec. 3 kicked off the regular season for the Chargers. They took on the Scott Co. Cardinals on the home court. The Cardinals went to state the past two seasons, but lost both times. The Cardinals were the 14th team in the state prior to the game against the Chargers. The Chargers were not expected to win their game against the Cardinals. They came out on top 80-69. Senior Hunter Brogan said, “The win felt great, it’s the first season opener we’ve won since coach (Jason Couch, head coach) got here and it feels good to start off on the right foot.”

The Red Zone Rowdies we’re back in action Tuesday night also. The theme was “Silent Night” and some seniors in the student section dressed up as the three wisemen, Mary, Joseph, angels and different animals. The rest of the section wore white. No one in the student section stood or cheered until the Chargers reached 10 points. Senior Red Zone Rowdies leader, Trent Murphy said, “I believe it impacted the game big time because of how loud and involved we were, it was a great night.”

Friday night, Dec. 6, the team traveled to Doss High School to take on the Dragons. From the beginning, the game was back and forth. Chargers would have the lead one minute, then Dragons would the next. At the end of the third quarter, the score was tied 41-41. The team fell to the Dragons 61-46.

Saturday, Dec. 7 the team played at Campbellsville High School against Logan County. The Chargers came out on top 67-63. This makes the Chargers record after the first week of games 2-1. Junior Will Blanford said, “To have a successful season everyone will have to be engaged and for each other. We’re doing good right now and no one is being selfish so I feel like we won’t have problems for a while.”

This week the team will play two games and a tournament this weekend. Blanford said, “We aren’t going to do much different, we are just going to focus on the stuff we need to work on a little more.” The next game will be Tuesday, Dec. 10 on the home court against Collins High School at 7:30 p.m.