FCCLA Chapter Service Project

A+Ronald+McDonald+House+Charities+donation+box+at+a+restaurant.+

Brian Katt

A Ronald McDonald House Charities donation box at a restaurant.

Katie Huffman, Staff Writer

We’re lovin’ it.

FCCLA will be visiting the Ronald McDonald House Wednesday, December 20 to complete their service project of the school year.

The club will be preparing meals for the families who are residing in the home. The Ronald McDonald House is a place for families who have hospitalized children and want to stay close to their child, but can’t afford a hotel. Later on this school year, members of the club will present their project at STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) events.

All of the club officers will be attending, and three members. “We will be cooking a big meal for all the families who are staying at the Ronald McDonald House. We will also be passing out care packages with toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo and other things like that to each family,” said sophomore Sarah Sargent, Vice President of FCCLA. “These people are going through a hard time and we want them to have a stress free, homemade meal,” said Sargent.

Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) has formed a network of programs in more than 64 countries across the world. In 2016, RMHC helped over 5.5 million families while they endured the experiences of having a child hospitalized.

“We picked this project because we want to bless these families and it’s nothing like we have done before. Not only is it a yummy homemade meal and a care package, but we are going to meet these families, make them smile and let them have fun. We understand what they are going through. Yes, they might be in a worse situation, but we know what it’s like to have a family member in the hospital, it’s stressful,” said Sargent.  

Last year, FCCLA’s chapter service project was handing out shoeboxes to the homeless in Louisville which contained socks, gloves, snacks, shampoo, deodorant and other necessities. Over this past summer, Sargent took her “Hand Up for the Homeless” chapter service project to nationals in Nashville, Tennessee and placed gold.

Sophomore member Natalie Allen will also be going on this trip. She hopes that by FCCLA helping people in need, more people will be encouraged to get out and help others. “We chose this project because last year it had such a great turnout that we wanted to make this year even better,” said Allen.

Sargent and Allen are both looking forward to this experience tomorrow, and are hoping that this will take them one step closer to nationals.