Livewire

Another Performance Well Done for Choir

Back to Article
Back to Article

Another Performance Well Done for Choir

Students went to Broad Run Park after their performances. Many said it was a great opportunity to decompress from the event and reflect on how the performances went.

You really can’t top the Bullitt East choir.

Recently, members of advanced choir got the chance to show their skills at a choir competition.

This event, named the KMEA contest, takes place annually. Only students from advanced choir attended, and the day was extremely successful, as the choir left with a score of distinguished. After the event, students were happy, and got to spend the rest of the day with their peers.

On April 12, choir students from all around the state attended this event at the Oldham County Arts Center.

The day at the Arts Center consisted of both singing and sight reading. “It was a really good experience my first time going,” said sophomore Beth Woods.

It was a successful experience for everyone else as well, as the school received a score of distinguished, which is no different from previous years. Scoring was based on individual performance, and the choirs weren’t judged against each other.

The choir director, Carrie Gary, received a certificate from the event upon scoring. She posted a picture of this to twitter, signifying a proud moment for both her and the students.

And this score was well deserved. The choir had been working on the songs they performed since around Christmas time. The group also does a practice sight reading every single day to prepare for events like this.

At the Arts Center, choir performed three different songs. These included Salmo 150, Will the Circle Be Unbroken and Ave Verum Corpus. “I liked that the song selection was really diverse, because it showcased how well our choir can perform,” said sophomore Devon Price.

Next, they did a sight reading. The group first got five minutes to read over their song, then they performed it once. After their first performance, they got two minutes once again to go over and perfect things. Then, they did their final, graded performance. The performance was graded on process, tone, vertical chord alignment and blend.

After the event, students celebrated with Chick-fil-A and some time at Broad Run park. “It was fun because we got to discuss how everything went and decompress,” said Price.

Choir’s next public performance will be at their spring concert on May 31. Until then, the group continues to practice perfecting their voices.