Cross-Country Runs to Beat Records

Boy+runners+huddle+up+for+a+pre-run+pep+talk.+

Haley Grether

Boy runners huddle up for a pre-run pep talk.

Haley Grether, Magazine Editor

Running their way to regional and state competitions, the cross-country team keeps up consistent times.

On October 16, the cross-country team traveled to Bardstown, Kentucky to compete in the Mid Kentucky Athletic conference championship.

The Kentucky Athletic was the last meet of the season before both the region and state meets. Many runners have pushed themselves to perform well in these last few meets of the season. All of the hard work done in practice begins to pay off for runners on the team.

Top boy on the team to complete his run was freshman Dalton Lasher ending with a time of 16:20.66 in first place out of 83 runners. Next on the team was freshman Isaiah Malone placing 12 with a time of 17:51.44. Then was senior Blake Hourigan in place 17 with a clock time of 18:17.33. Freshman Cody Bostock was next in place 21 with a time of 18:32.42. Close behind in place 23 was sophomore Logan Gentry with a time of 18:41.24. Then was sophomore Zach Ballard in place 25 with a time of 18:52.26. Senior Cole Davenport ended his run in place 27 with a clock time of 19:01.72. Next was freshman Jack Sappenfield with a time of 19:07.94 in place 29. Then was senior Nicholas Wright in place 40 with a time of 19:56.96. Freshman Tyler Bass ended his run in place 42 with a clock time of 20.00.33. Sophomore Alex Christmas ended his run in place 47 with a time of 20:27.91. Then was freshman Hunter Thompson in place 56 with a clock time of 21:17.01.

Overall, the boys team placed second out of seven with an average time of 17:56.00.

Running in the Mid Kentucky Athletic, Lasher ran quickly to beat his personal record. “I just wanted to do my best, that’s what pushed me so hard in the race. I am excited for state and regions coming up. Next year I plan on running for cross-country again,” said Lesher. Not only did Lesher beat his personal record, but he also beat the county and school record too. Beating a school record is a very big accomplishment, Lesher says it feels good to beat it.

Top girl on the team to complete her run was freshman Mia MaGuire, as she placed first out of 53 with a clock time of 20:39.66. Next on the team was sophomore Emily Tinelli in fourth place with an end time of 21:04.82. Then was eight grader Raelee Hawkins in seventh place with a time of 21:27.31. Senior Abigail Clarkson ended her 5k with a time of 24:45.14 in place 22. Close behind was sophomore Jaiden Hammack ending her run in place 27 with a clock time of 25:33.37.

Overall, the girls team placed third out of eight with an average time of 22:42.00.

As the season comes to a quick close many runners are giving it their all in order to make it to the state competition. “Every race from now on, I just want to keep getting better and better. We want to get to state really bad and place well in regionals,” said Mia MaGuire. As a top runner in many races this year, MaGuire continues to keep it consistent on the course. “It feels weird being on the top, it’s pretty cool I guess. It just shows what work at practice does,” said Maguire.

The team will next compete on Oct. 27, at the KHSAA Region 3 Class AAA meet held at Seneca Park in Louisville, Kentucky.