Division One Bound

Division One Bound

Zach Combest, Copy Editor

Swinging at a fastball to college.

Bullitt East sophomore softball player, Taylor Roby, verbally committed to the University of Louisville on August 17, 2015.

Roby is a starting pitcher and first baseman for the BE and Southern Force (travel team) softball teams. Roby has been playing softball for seven years. This will be her fourth year playing for BE. Roby has a 64 mph screwball that keeps the hitters in the batter’s box guessing. Even though she is a Kentucky fan, she still committed to Louisville to be a pitcher for many reasons.

“I chose Louisville because they are so close and I have been with that program since I was 10 years old and I am really close to the coaches,” Roby said. Louisville wasn’t the only school to offer Roby a scholarship for softball.

Roby was offered a scholarship from Louisville, Northwestern, Florida State, and Jacksonville. Illinois State University planned on offering her a scholarship but Roby felt that Louisville was the best fit for her so she committed before Illinois State.

“We have been promoting her to colleges for the last 2 years,” said BE softball head coach, Ricky Hoffman. She is very blessed for the opportunity to play for Louisville and compete with some of the most talented players in college softball.

“I feel like she will fit very well at UofL and she deserves every bit of what she has been offered!”  said BE junior softball catcher, Karli Yarbrough.

Roby was contacted by all of the Louisville coaches before she committed. Hoffman contacted UofL a few times.

Lisa Pinkston and Tara Isabel (former Louisville softball players) are Roby’s role models.

Hoffman describes Roby as a driven, passionate, and hard-working person. Roby continues to work hard and strive to be the best.