Sports Just Went Pink

Kim Houchin, Staff Writer

Athletes will soon know what it means to fight like a girl.

Football players trade in their red and gold jerseys for pink and white ones during the month of October.

Melissa Speakman, human and child development teacher, has assumed the leadership role of planning and organizing the activities for the upcoming Pink-Out game on Friday. House Pisti and student body government have helped Speakman out with planning the activities. Speakman does not plan on running anymore activities in the near future.

For the upcoming Pink-Out football game against Bullitt Central, Speakman is planning on some big activities that will represent the month of October, also known as Breast Cancer Awareness month. “We’re gonna have tables set up and those tables will have raffle tickets to raise money for breast cancer awareness,” said Speakman. Everything the school gets as far as donations will be given away to support breast cancer awareness. The raffle ticket prizes will include dinner for two and a movie, two movie passes, and UofL tickets.

Another activity that might make people tear up is the letting go of balloons during halftime. “At halftime, what my plan is, is to just give a little statistic about breast cancer and how many of us have been either affected or know someone who’s had it. We’re just going to allow a moment of silence and let people that have balloons let go of the balloons and just have a moment,” said Speakman.

A major help in these activities was Speakman’s house Pisti and the student body government. “Pisti has kind of led the breast cancer community service,” said Speakman.

Speakman does not see herself running anymore activities on this large of a scale in the near future. She hopes that these activities are enough to help attendees learn more of the upcoming ‘Making Strides Against Breast Cancer’ walk on October 25th. “I’m hoping, what we’ll build from this game is that we are going to get more people to participate in the walk. My hope is that people will get more information about the walk on Friday and they’ll be able to get in some more donations,” said Speakman.

With big projects like the letting go of balloons and the raffle tickets, stress is usually increased on someone in Speakman’s position, but this doesn’t seem to rattle her. “It’s actually been very beneficial. Is it overwhelming when making sure that everybody is getting what they’re supposed to do? Yes, it is a bit overwhelming, but I am a firm believer that it’s going for a good cause,” said Speakman.

If someone would like to participate in the ‘Making Strides Against Breast Cancer’ walk, contact Speakman’s email [email protected].