Coaches Thornsberry and Kurtz Head to Nelson County

Grant Skaggs, Sports Editor

And the rest of the dominoes fall.

As the year has progressed, the Bullitt East football team has seen the loss of a head coach, and now both the defensive and offensive coordinators with Kenny Thornsberry and Ryan Kurtz leaving for the head coach and defensive coordinator positions at Nelson County High School.

They both chose to pursue these positions because of the great opportunity at hand. Many players seem to be shocked and upset by the turnout.

Thornsberry will be taking over as head football coach for the Cardinals, while Kurtz follows with taking over as his defensive coordinator. The Cardinals finished with a 4-7 season record last season, and look to try to improve.

The opportunity to finally obtain a bigger role caught the attention of Thornsberry.

Thornsberry said, “It was just a really great opportunity for me. It will allow me to grow as a coach for the future.”

With achieving this role as head coach, Thornsberry said he would “most likely” be teaching at Nelson County High next year as well.

The locker room has experienced mixed emotions throughout the last couple of days. While some would love to see a new coaching staff, but a majority hate to see them go.

Upcoming senior runningback, Justin Defler, said, “As a senior I feel left out to dry, we had bonds with previous coaches that will never be restored.”

Upcoming senior center, Brandon Adtkins, said, “ It’s depressing because I have worked with him all three years that I’ve been here. He has been my line coach and we’ve gotten really close. I’m happy for him but at the same time I hate to see him leave.”

More information from Ryan Kurtz is to come.