Running Through Fall Break

Zach Combest, Website Editor

Continuing to finish strong in a hometown meet.

On September 30, the cross country team at East competed in the Greater Louisville Classic hosted at Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville, Kentucky.

This 5k run consisted of teams from all over the state. The girls team had a great showing in the race. The boys pushed through the pack making a solid finish to the 5k race. The overall scores for East improved significantly with this run.

The top boy runner on the team was junior Josh Wetzel as he came in 26 place, completing his 5k run with a time of 18:07.74. Junior Blake Hourigan was after, competing his 5k in 18:54.13, delivering him with the place of 48. Right behind him was junior Cole Davenport, clocking in at 19:09, with a place of 65.

“Greater Louisville went very well. We had a lot of good performances on both the guys and the girls side, and our coach was impressed with our efforts,” said Wetzel.

As for the girls, freshman Emily Tinelli came in first place out of 258 runners, with a time of 21:03.93. Then was freshman Cassie Clements in 16 place bringing it in with a time of 22:42. Freshman Abby Troutman her 5k with a time of 23:38.30 and a place of 49. Senior Meredith Thornsberry was next with a time of 24:38.55, placing her 84. With a place of 96, junior Abigail Clarkson brought it in with a clock time of 24:53.04. Junior Lindsey Spencer was right behind her with a time of 25:07 and a place of 105.

The running Chargers have many improvements that need to be made before the end of the season and regionals. “As for improvements, we need to focus on more strength training such as hills and tempo runs. We have great foot speed, but we need the strength to match it,” said Wetzel.

Overall, the running Chargers had a great performance at the meet and look to continue the strong finishes in the upcoming meets. The next race will be on October 10, held at the Bernard Keene Cross Country Course in Bardstown, Kentucky. This race will be hosted by Nelson County High School.