Football’s Recent Rivalry Check

Coach+Keegan+Kendrick+is+giving+the+offensive+line+a+talking+to.+The+Chargers+line+made+holes+for+the+team+to+gain+221+rushing+yards.+

Emma Whitehouse

Coach Keegan Kendrick is giving the offensive line a talking to. The Chargers line made holes for the team to gain 221 rushing yards.

Tyler Mozingo, Sports Editor

Rivalries are always that much sweeter. 

The Chargers went into rivalry territory and came out victorious. 

The football team took on North Bullitt on Friday and won in a close 28-21 game. In a game that has an impact on the annual Bullitt Cup, the Chargers moved one step closer in taking home the Bullitt Cup. 

The Chargers took a punch on North’s first drive of the game as the Eagles converted a 3rd and long in the drive that wound up scoring the game’s first touchdown. The offense wasn’t able to generate anything on their first drive which left fans feeling nervous. “I was scared not gonna lie. The game had so much hype to it and I was like ‘we can’t lose to North Bullitt, we just can’t’,” said senior red zone rowdy leader, Trent Murphy. 

The East defense made a stand after having to punt and Junior Quarterback Aeron Adams got the Chargers on the board with a touchdown run, his first of three rushing touchdowns. North responded with a 30 yard touchdown run of their own at the beginning of the second quarter, leaving the red zone expecting a high scoring game. “Once they had that rushing touchdown, I was thinking that this was going to be an absolute shoot out. Something like 45-42 because we both scored so easily on the defense,” said Murphy. 

The next drive after the North touchdown, Aeron Adams led the Chargers down to the Eagle six yard line and completed a pass to senior wideout Cade Miller, knotting things up at 14-14 right before the half. “I know what the offense is capable of and I know what we can accomplish as a unit. Myself along with the other wide receivers have to do our job and so does Aeron and things will click,” said Miller. Neither team scored after and it went to the half at 14-14. 

The Chargers took the kickoff to start the second half and Adams led the charge down the field and found a hole and had a rushing touchdown in under two minutes to start things off. The Chargers led 21-14 right out of the gate. The defense held strong for the third quarter as the Chargers took a 21-14 lead going into the fourth. 

North Bullitt scored in two plays to start the fourth and just like that, it was a tie game again at 21-21. Nothing happened for either team on offense for a good stretch until East got the ball back off a North Bullitt 3 and out. Adams got the offense to the Eagle 41 yard line and busted through the hole, taking it in for the score. That ended up being the game winner as the Chargers held the Eagles and forced a turnover on downs with 1:20 left in the game. 

East is sitting with a (3-0) record right now and have jumped to rank number 51 in the state. The Chargers are on the road again this week on Friday, Sept. 13 as they travel to Moore High School to take on the Mustangs.