Voting for Homecoming in Charger Nation

Zach Combest

More stories from Zach Combest

Greek Games
May 3, 2018
Lindsay Duvall Park
April 30, 2018
Senior+Brooke+Stivers+wearing+the+Homecoming+Court+sash+before+the+Homecoming+football+game.+Stivers+also+won+basketball+homecoming+and+will+be+on+the+court+along+with+other+seniors.+

Brooke Stivers

Senior Brooke Stivers wearing the Homecoming Court sash before the Homecoming football game. Stivers also won basketball homecoming and will be on the court along with other seniors.

Homecoming is around the corner again, who did Charger Nation vote for?

The basketball Homecoming game is coming up next week and voting for the court has been in full swing.

The 2017 basketball Homecoming nominees have been released and people are seeing some familiar names again. Homecoming has been viewed as a popularity contest, but it is a tradition that Bullitt East looks forward to every football and basketball season. This year, siblings are taking over the ballet.

Homecoming is special to many who get picked. “Homecoming is more to me than just voting for the same people every year and getting dressed up to walk out in front of people. It’s about voting for people that represent your class and Bullitt East as a whole. It’s about tradition and your character. And to be nominated to represent something like that, is a huge deal in my eyes. It’s a honor to be nominated by my peers to have a chance to be one of the representatives of the class of 2017,” said senior Brooke Stivers.

Students voted online and the Homecoming week themes were released during the week. “It feels very rewarding to be picked as a nominee for Homecoming. Homecoming is a tradition at Bullitt East and to be noticed and voted for by the student body means a lot to me,” said Brooke Stivers.

Brooke Stivers and her sister Hailey Stivers, freshman, are on the Homecoming ballot. Kelsey and Olivia Coke are another sister duo on the ballot. “It’s so cool! My sister and I are actually pretty close and for us both to be even just on the ballot is just awesome. If we both make the court, it will be a great bonding experience for both of us!” said Brooke Stivers.

On the other hand, students like junior Sydney Rames are upset about the Homecoming voting. “I think it’s very repetitive. As always, we should keep Charger Nation alive by repeating tradition,  but I also feel like so many under appreciated kids who go to our school miss the chance of winning homecoming due to the many times the same exact people have been nominated. I have no problem with the people who are being nominated, I just also know many other girls and boys who would love to win, even if it was just for a day,” said Rames.

It is difficult for some underclassmen if they don’t know an upperclassmen to chose. So often times they pick the most popular person or the person that was selected last time. “I think the same people get nominated because the classes tend to have their shining stars, and nobody forgets them, so they vote for who they know is widely known. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone,” said Rames.

“Vote for new people who seem to love our school and may be a little less known. Vote for people who deserve a little more recognition and are involved in different communities of the school. Don’t vote for someone just because they’re popular, vote for who you feel honestly deserves to be homecoming winners, and voice your opinion as well. Diversity is a very important part of our school and should be shown more often,” said Rames.

Voting closed Friday, January 20. The Homecoming game will be Friday, January 27 during the home basketball game. Congratulations to all the winners and nominees.