Your Options Have Grown

Lexie Fisher, Staff Writer

The future nurse aids are in training.

Starting this year, 2015-16, Bullitt East is offering students a medical pathway, right here at home.

The medical pathway is a variety of classes that students take to pursue nurse aiding as a career choice. When taking those classes, students have the privilege to earn certification. Although this pathway has always been available to Bullitt East students, the classes became more available due to the transition from vocational (building near Bullitt Central) to East.

The Medical pathway has multiple options for class taking. Students have the choices to take at least three of these classes: Medical Terminology, Emergency Procedures, Principles of Health Science, Body Structures and Functions, and Anatomy. Although, only three of these classes are needed to become certified in the pathway.

To become certified, students have to pass a KOSSA test or a Medicaid Nurse Aid class. Before doing so, Mrs. Ritchie said, “The students would have to have a total of  59 hours of classroom time and 16 hours of clinical time out of the way before the required test.” After they pass this test and the three classes required, they are allowed to go on to getting their certification for state-registered nursing assistant/medicaid nurse aid (MNA). This certification could help students in a variety of ways. Senior, Whitney Embry, hopes to use her certification right after high school. “So far I think I will use my certification as soon as I get out of high school. Working at a hospital will allow me to receive more experience which further on would make my resume better. Eventually, I plan on working at Baptist East and becoming a NICU nurse there,” Embry said.
The new Medical pathway was made to help those students that see themselves taking on this type of job in the near future. Students that take this pathway can gain credits for some classes at certain colleges. They will also gain knowledge of skills they need for college. Mrs. McCutcheon said, “The students could basically gain employment like: dispensing medications, and working in the hospitals, nursing homes,and prisons.”

Bullitt East has brought on the Medical pathway to help those students follow in what they want to be for a future career, a Nurse Aid. Students who take it will gain the knowledge and certification to help them along with their journey of becoming one.