Student Body…Congress

Erika Bolton, Staff Writer

Let this session come to order!

The new “congress” of Bullitt East is what everybody is talking about.

In the past, many of you know that Bullitt East has held an after school club known as Student Body Government, or “SBG.” Members of this club helped create the enthusiasm and spirit in the charger atmosphere through homecoming ideas, spirit day themes, helping with pep rallies, and showing student leadership in a type of government official set up. This year, changes are coming with the new after school club; Student Congress.

In past years, SBG has worked together with other clubs at Bullitt East such as the RedZone Rowdies and houses to get additional ideas for games, pep rallies, or themes for different school events. This year will be a little different. Mrs. Walker, leader of Student Congress, said, “We will still have the same types of discussions, but it will be so much more organized.” Congress is hoping to bring all different groups, clubs, and sports together to share ideas and help our already enthusiastic school become a cohesive environment where running out of ideas just doesn’t happen. 

Since this club has not officially started yet, students and teachers are buzzing with questions about everything congress related, anxious to hear a word of reveal. Walker is more than excited to give insight on what is to come this year. “We will be picking one representative from every sport or club. Students will be able to volunteer if they want to participate or not,” said Walker. She also shared that members can be in multiple clubs or sports.

Although meetings have not started for congress yet, a lot are interested to see what the difference will be between the old SBG and the new congress, and what this means for East as a whole. Many new members plan to join who have never been included in SBG, while others are coming back looking for a fresh new start. “I’ve been in student body government since I was a sophomore. I always liked it, but I think congress will bring our school together more,” said senior, Christian Foster. “This is exactly what our school needs.”

While Walker is the head leader of congress, she also has Mrs. Speakman alongside her to help out this year. “Although congress was Mrs. Walker’s idea, we recently went to a different school where a club similar to this one was happening. We loved the idea and thought, we should make this a thing here at Bullitt East,” said Speakman. The first Student Congress meeting will be held on September 1.

Meeting, adjourned!