Act Like A Mannequin

Jaydrien Jarrett, Staff Writer

Just stand still and make a video.

The mannequin challenge is a social media trend that has swept the nation.

The mannequin challenge is a challenge where people just sit still, act like mannequins and record a video. Everyone from NFL teams, to schools and even First Lady Michelle Obama are doing the Mannequin Challenge. The challenge has recently gone viral and there are tons of videos being made of people participating in it.

The mannequin challenge can be easy to do for some people. A song will play and people stay as still as possible to look like mannequins while it plays. The song that plays is Rae Sremmurd and Gucci Mane’s “Black Beatles.” Some videos take more skill than others though, with some people standing on their head or balancing items on top of them. Some videos even feature dogs participating in the challenge.

“The person that wrote the song sort of did it at his concert so i guess people just decided to start doing it too” said sophomore Emmy Ralph.

The trend has gained more popularity as celebrities have got in on the action. Celebrities like Kevin Hart, James Corden and Adele have participated in the challenge. NFL teams have even participated in the event including the Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, New York Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers. These videos have everyone participating, Including both Boys and Girls Basketball team.

“It was kind of hard to do it, (the mannequin challenge) I was in an awkward position so it was kind of hard,” said sophomore Thomas Wiseheart.

These videos have gotten as big as a lot of other challenges. This challenge can be compared to other challenges that went viral like the ALS ice bucket challenge, which also had many people and many celebrities participating in the event. This challenge is a lot safer than most popular challenges like the cinnamon challenge, which can cause people to have throat and lung problems. This challenge is safe and fun to participate in.