Overcoming Nerves

Jessica Mattingly, Executive Editor

The past two archery meets have given the team insight on what they are doing well and what they still need to improve on.

The team traveled to Jeffersontown High School on March 11, and to Bullitt Central on March 18. As a whole, the archery members have kept their scores consistent. Week after week, key archery members admit they the team needs help with their nerves on meet day.

On March 11, St. Athanasius held an archery meet at Jeffersontown High. Bullitt East competed to their bests and received first place. Collectively, the archery team held a score of 3,334. A little on the flip side, the team traveled to Bullitt Central this past weekend and placed third. Not only have these scores reflected the team as a whole, but a few members have shown what they have. Junior archer KC Corum said, “Bradley Edmonds [stands out], he picked up the bow after three years and is consistently shooting high 270s.”

The performance the team has shown in the past few meets have shown their strong points. Corum said, “[We are] shooting a high enough score to help the team place for a trophy.” The team consistently places somewhere in the top three, which shows the team works well with what they are given.

After every tournament, the team agrees that their nerves sometimes get in the way of their performances. Corum said, “[We need to] break the nervous tension that rises on the line, and shooting consistency throughout the year.”

Before the next meet, the team will work as a whole on calming their nerves on the line.