Lady Chargers Softball Senior Night

The+four+Bullitt+East+softball+seniors+and+senior+team+manager+Karlee+Hoffman+after+the+game+against+Atherton.+

Zach Combest

The four Bullitt East softball seniors and senior team manager Karlee Hoffman after the game against Atherton.

Zach Combest, Business Editor

Making the final out of their high school softball careers.

The softball team held their senior night on May 18 for their four seniors on the team: shortstop Lindsay Renneisen, third baseman Jordan Goers, first baseman Hannah Dahl, and centerfielder Jenna Rueve.

The Lady Chargers defeated the Atherton Rebels 7-1. Senior night festivities were held after the game. The seniors have many memories that they will cherish beyond high school.

Atherton jumped out to a quick lead as they scored a run in the second inning. Goers led off the game for the Lady Chargers and the other seniors followed in the batting order. Sophomore, Maddie Klefot drove in the first run of the game in the bottom of the fourth inning. The bottom of the fifth inning was the turning point for the Lady Chargers offense as they drove in five runs. Dahl scored a run in the fifth inning after she rockets a double to the outfield. A few plays later Dahl runs for home plate, beats out the throw and is called safe by the home plate umpire. Goers, Renneisen, Dahl and Rueve had success at the plate and in the field and led their team to the victory.

Senior night festivities followed the game. Before the seniors came out on the field, head coach Ricky Hoffman presented a jar to the two seniors on Atherton’s team. The jar was for them to put a piece of their home field dirt in so that they could remember Atherton when they go off to college and life after high school. “Senior night was fantastic. I loved everything the team did for us and was really happy with how everything turned out,” said Rueve. Dahl wants to thank her awesome teammates for making it a night to remember. Goers added that it was amazing.

“The best part about senior night was when they read off what each senior said. It was so cool to look back on all of our memories we had together,” said Rueve. Rueve has been playing for the Bullitt East softball team for five years. She will be attending Eastern Kentucky University in the fall.

“What I will miss the most about softball is just the game in general. I’ve played competitive softball since I was nine,” said Dahl. Many of the seniors have played softball since they were little and three out of the four seniors won’t be playing softball in college. Renneisen is the only senior to continue her softball career. She will be playing at Evansville University on an athletic scholarship.

Hoffman has impacted the girls lives in many ways, as a mentor and coach. “Ricky has impacted my life in a huge way. I’ve been apart of the Bullitt East program for five years and he’s taught me everything from the game of softball to multiple life lessons I will remember forever,” said Dahl.

“My five years on the softball team will forever be my favorite part of high school and I couldn’t be more thankful to be blessed with such a good coach and such good teammates to experience the last five years with,” said Dahl. She will be attending Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) in the fall.

“The best part (of senior night) was the ceremony. Just being there with all of my sisters was awesome. I will definitely miss my teammates. They have been a big part of my life for five years and I hope we all stay close,” said Goers. The underclassmen players held up bats as the seniors walked under them one at a time. Each senior received a big picture of them in their uniform with their name and number on it. Friends, family and fellow peers watched the senior night ceremony and took in the moment with the seniors on the field.  

The postseason starts on May 23 as districts will be held at Bullitt East. The Lady Chargers will take on rival, Fern Creek on May 23 at 5 p.m. Being at home for districts will give the Lady Chargers home field advantage. Come out and support the seniors and the softball team during district play!