• Homecoming--Home Basketball Game--Friday, January 26

• 9th Grade House Coat Drive--Tuesday, January 16-Friday, January 19

• Girls Basketball LIT Tournament--Tuesday, January 23 through Friday, January 26

• Homecoming Week--Monday, January 22 through Friday, January 26

• Congrats to the cheerleading team for winning the state championship!

• Christmas Break Dec. 16- Jan. 2

• Prom-- 3/24/18

• Athletic Signing Day-- 2/7/18

• Larry Steinmetz Named State Journalism Director for JEA!

• The second issue of the Livewire is on sale now for $1!

Running Relays in Fern Creek

Meredith Thornsberry has been running for Bullitt East for most of her high school career. She is continuing to improve more and more each year.

Meredith Thornsberry has been running for Bullitt East for most of her high school career. She is continuing to improve more and more each year. "My personal goal for the season is to run a twenty three minute 5k. For the team though, I really want us to make it to state, I really think we have a shot," said Thornsberry.

Kelsi Sego

Kelsi Sego

Haley Grether, Copy Editor

Racing into the season, East is working towards success.

Starting the year off with a relay race, the Cross Country team traveled to Louisville to compete.

The first meet of the season was originally set for August 22. Due to bad weather, it was canceled and rescheduled for August 23. The team competed in the Fern Creek relays held at the Charlie Vettiner Park in Louisville, KY.

The top boy on the team was junior Cole Davenport. He completed the race with a time of 5:31.4, leaving him with the rank of 44 out of 97. Next on the team was junior Zach Ballard finishing the relay with a time of 5:51.2, thus giving him the rank of 56 out of 97.  

Teamwork and self-encouragement are extremely important when participating in a team sport.  “My expectations for the meet were that everyone would do their best and encourage one another, which is exactly what happened,” said Davenport.

As for the girls, the top runner for East was freshman Cassie Clements. Clocking in with a time of 6:17.8, and a rank of 20 out of 85, she successfully completed the race. Then was senior Meredith Thornsberry bringing it in with the time of 7:18.9 and a place of 59. Followed by freshman McKenzie Ballard clocking in at 7:41.8 and a place of 39.

Not far behind was freshman Abby Troutman completing her run with the time of 7:40.8 and a place of 76. Last was freshman Ashlee Williams with a time of 7:35.9 and a place of 80.

Success isn’t always shown in numbers, but in team improvement as a whole. “I was very pleased with my own times, but I was so happy with how our team did, we have a lot of freshmen and it was their first time wearing the uniform and racing in it! They did great,” said Thornsberry.

All members of the team performed well at the Swags Fern Creek Relays. The next meet will be September 3, at the Central Kentucky Gold race held in Elizabethtown