Corporations Are Getting the Wrong Idea

Olivia Armstrong, Copy Editor

Women just wanna’ have fun(damental human rights.)

The catchy motto adopted by many activists seems to be misunderstood by our American businesses.

The CEO of Doritos recently announced that they were working on a chip centered for women. Many are upset about this, as it undermines the importance of many current issues for women’s equality. Other products in your local grocery store have also probably been noted for unnecessarily being labeled “men’s” or “women’s” products.

Indra Nooyi, the CEO of Doritos, announced an extremely controversial statement at the end of January. When asked in an interview with Freakonomics to explain the difference between how men and women eat chips, she was quick to pipe up. “Women would love to do the same [eat messily], but they don’t. They don’t like to crunch too loudly in public,” said Nooyi.

Freakonomics continued off that statement, asking the new CEO if the megacorporation, parented under PepsiCo, had anything in the works for a Doritos chip for women. “Yes, we are looking at it, and we’re getting ready to launch a bunch of them soon,” said Nooyi.

She went on to explain that women should have a less crunchier, less stickier chip. The bag should also be something that women can put in their purse, because “women love to carry a snack in their purse.”

While Nooyi may see this as a good idea, many don’t. Twitter user @iamsheajenkins tweeted that “women would rather have affordable feminine hygiene products and contraception, but instead we get Lady Doritos.” The tweet has over 34 thousand retweets and 104 thousand likes.

Another Twitter user, @sammynickalls, in a tweet noted the want for equal pay, less harassment, and other similar things, but instead the people in charge are focusing on “quiet Doritos for women.”

Many around Bullitt East also see a lack of need for Nooyi’s idea. Sophomore Beth Woods said she laughed when she first heard this. “The concept just sounds dumb,” said Woods.

Other products have been put in the spotlight for being unnecessarily attributed to girls and boys. Some of these products include tape, pens, candles and even origami-making kits.

Many believe that these products are taking away from the real issues. “We don’t care about having candles or pens for specifically women, we’re just out here trying to work for our equality in way more important matters,” said sophomore Devon Price.