An Unforgettable National Anthem Performance

Fergie+singing+the+National+Anthem+

Creative Commons

Fergie singing the National Anthem

Montrell Page, Staff Writer

Switching things up.

Fergie had tried something different when she sang the National Anthem for a crowd February 16.

Fergie performed the national anthem at the NBA All-Star Game. She attempted to drift away from the norm and do something special for the NBA. However, she did receive the positive feedback that she expected from viewers.

Black Eyed Peas singer, Fergie, sang The Star-Spangled Banner with an intended jazzy type of style. However, this did not top the 1983 performance of The Star-Spangled Banner by Marvin Gaye who also did a jazzy and bluesy styled national anthem. Gaye received a better response from the crowd than Fergie did.

Last year Jon Batiste sang the national anthem.  did really good.

“I’ve always been honored and proud to perform the national anthem,” said Fergie.  Fergie thinks of herself as a risk-taker and likes to try new things. “I’m a risk-taker artistically, but clearly this rendition didn’t strike the intended tone,” said Fergie.

Hall of Famer and commentator Charles Barkley joking “I need a cigarette,” said Barkley

Golden State All-Star Draymond Green was shown open-mouthed on live TV in confusion of Fergie’s vocals and then chuckled to himself. Green was not the only one who couldn’t hide his feelings towards her horrible performance. Stephen Curry and Joel Embiid were also shown trying to hide their smiles. Even Grammy winner Chance the Rapper got a kick out of it.  

Sophomore Joshua Bynum-Cook feels like she was one of the worst performances.”It was one of the worst performances I had ever seen in my life.”  said  Bynum-Cook.  Cook didn’t really know what she could do differently. “It was just trash,” said  Bynum-Cook.

Sophomore Sam Priddy feels like the player’s reaction made it worse. “ it was bad but seeing the players and fans reactions to it made it ten times worse.” said Priddy. “ It was really funny I guess she accomplished what her goal was to try something new and she did try something new it was funny,” said Priddy.