Dancing the Night Away

Prom is right around the corner, and for many, excitement is rising by the day. Girls, especially, are spending lots of time making sure everything is perfect for the big night with the right accessories, makeup, and hair choices.

Olivia Armstrong, Copy Editor

Dresses, makeup and pretty shoes: it’s prom time!

Getting ready for prom doesn’t begin the day of for people at Bullitt East.

Around the school, excitement is beginning to rise for the fun night. Many girls have began to prepare for the event early. Prom is still a week away.

Excitement is beginning to buzz for the upcoming Saturday. “I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for this,” said junior Kemper Barr. This is Barr’s first time going to prom, much like most other juniors.

Junior Madeline Polson is especially excited for the opportunity to have a prom. She noted how lucky she felt to go to a school that put together a dance for us. “I think it’s great we are able to do things like this,” said Polson.

While most girls are happy about prom, others aren’t so excited. Senior William Smith, never being big on dances in general, is going this year upon his parents’ requests. “I feel like I might regret that,” said Smith.

Many make finding dates an essential factor in going to prom, and for Smith, this especially influenced his decision to go. “As a dude it’s a lot harder to justify going without a date,” said Smith.

On the other hand, many students are fine going to prom dateless. “It’s kind of sad going without a date when a lot of my friends have one, but I know I’ll have fun no matter what with my boys,” said senior Clay Williams.

Many friends in Williams’s group were avidly making sure that all their friends had the chance to go. Williams is taking Cole Laslie, a senior who went to Bullitt East, but had to move halfway through junior year. “I love my friends and I’m just glad they haven’t forgotten about me,” said Laslie. Senior David Vinson is also taking a younger friend of the group’s, sophomore Cole Stewart.

While girls have been on the lookout for the perfect dress as early as last year, many guys don’t feel so rushed. Senior Tristen Preston was extremely laid back on getting ready for prom, not getting fitted for his suit until two weeks before. “I don’t think prom is ever something to worry about a lot,” said Preston.

Smith was also hesitant about his suit, “I really wanted to wear a brown suit but everyone said that would look bad with my hair… I don’t really know style, so I’ll trust them,” said Smith.

Junior Gracie Smith, while excited about finding a dress, didn’t have a problem at all finding one. “As soon as I saw my dress in the store I knew that’s what I’d be wearing,” said Gracie. The first-time prom goer is choosing to keep her dress a secret until the night of, just to keep it a surprise.

Most girls make appointments to get hair and makeup done, but some are choosing to DIY the process and work with what they have. Gracie has been doing trial runs of her prom hairstyles for a while now, determined to get the perfect look by herself.

Regardless of how the road to prom has looked, the majority seem to all be excited about the night to come. “I feel like just going with the flow… is what will make my night truly perfect,” said Gracie.

The official date for prom is March 24. It will be held at the Ramada Plaza on Hurstbourne Lane from 8 to 12 p.m.