The First Week of Soccer Comes To An End

Katie Huffman, Executive Editor

Kicking off the soccer season.

After the first week of soccer, the Lady Chargers have a season record of 1-2.

The team scrimmaged Boyle County and Bethlehem within the first two weeks of August. The first official soccer game was an away game against LaRue County August 13. The girls have completed three matches this week and will complete an additional three within the next week.

This past monday, the Lady Chargers faced LaRue County. Junior varsity ended their match with a score of 5-0, keeping the opposing team from scoring during the game. Varsity concluded with a score of 4-1, with LaRue only scoring one goal due to a defensive error by East. Freshman Carson Davis and sophomore Bailey Chitwood scored during the varsity game, as well as juniors Tayler Mahoney and Chloe Holt.

The outcome of the two games against South Oldham on Wednesday were not in favor of the Chargers. Both the junior varsity and varsity team ended with a score of 6-0, both teams taking the loss.

Saturday, the girls faced Owensboro Catholic. Junior varsity fell short with a final score of 5-1. Varsity also lost their game and the end score was 4-2. Senior team captain Carly Witt said, “Even though we didn’t come up with the win on the scoreboard, we didn’t leave the field upset. It’s always hard to lose in the beginning of the season, especially since we play some of the top teams in the state, so to have only lost by two goals was actually a good feeling. We are improving so much as a team and it will show at the end of the season.”

The next soccer game for the girls will be against Atherton. Sophomore soccer player Bailey Chitwood said, “They [Atherton] will definitely go in as the underdogs. We have to go in with the mindset that these teams won’t be easy, so we will play like we play against hard teams.”

On Tuesday, August 21, there will not be a junior varsity game and the one game of the night will begin at 7 p.m. against Atherton.