The Game Plan

Dane Bunel

Coach Sander, along the sidelines, at the home game against Central Hardin.

Dane Bunel, Staff Writer

Charger football is back.

The season started off with an away game versus Butler High School on Aug. 24.

As the 2018 football season gets underway, a lot of hype is being spread around the school. With a standout new freshman QB and a fiery group of seniors, this season is expected to bring fireworks. However, previous seasons have carried doubt among students and staff.

Head Coach Mark Sander guarantees an exciting season for the Chargers. Sander said, “We are better than how we were at this time one year ago. Attitude is everything with these boys, and if we’re gonna win more ball games, we need that fiery, positive frame of mind that we bring in practice.”

When coaching any team, carrying a losing status will rub off the wrong way on a lot of people, but with a new mindset and a laid out gameplan expect a new and hungry team to run out on the field. Sander ignores this criticism that is aimed towards his football team and spreads positivity among his players. Sander said, “Criticism doesn’t bother me at all. Many critics don’t understand the ins and outs of our football program. Fall down 100 times get up 101, that is the mentality we bring from this program.”

A new addition to the Chargers is freshman quarterback, Yared Raley. A young standout who vows to bring his previous success in middle school and bring it to Charger Nation. Yared is one of very few freshmen to start varsity as a quarterback.

“A very laid back individual [Raley],” said Assistant Coach, Bryan Mullins, “He takes life very nonchalantly and what you see is tremendous athletic talent and a fiery passion to the game of football.”

With a whole new perspective of the team, Coach Sander and the rest of Charger Nation expect to bring an incredible season and many successful seasons to come.