Not the Start They Wanted

Tyler Mozingo, Sports Editor

Off to a slow start.

The Football team has started off their season fairly rough, struggling to get points and stop the opposition in almost every game so far.

The Bullitt East Chargers football team has been working hard every week to prepare for friday night lights, but their hard work is not showing on the field. The Chargers are currently 1-3, currently four games into the season.

The team opened up the season announcing new starting quarterback, freshman Yared Raley, just over a week before the first game. The season started out playing against the then ninth team in the state, the Butler Traditional Bears on the road. The Chargers were beat in every asset of the game and fell 48-0. When you lose by that margin, there really are no positives, but Yared Raley was able to get his first varsity start out of the way.

Week two brought the Chargers back home against the Central Hardin Bruins. The Bruins were also coming off a loss, falling to the Bowling Green Purples in week one. The Chargers were able to crack the scoreboard for the first time this season. After recovering a fumble and starting the drive at the Central Hardin 20 yard line, DJ Chappell was able to punch it into the endzone. Even after scoring for the first time, the Chargers fell to the Bruins 43-7.

Week three was a game at home with the Spencer County Bears. The Chargers were able to get that first win on the season after falling 0-2 on the season. They beat Spencer County 13-7. After a Spencer County fumble, the Chargers were able to capitalize on that miscue and take an early 7-0 lead. Later in the first half, quarterback Yared Raley kept it and went up the sidelines as the Chargers jumped out 13-0 at halftime. They weren’t able to score anymore, but the defense held the Bears to just one touchdown in the second half and walked away with a 13-7 victory.

After a bye week and an extra week to prepare, the Chargers got the opportunity to play in front of their home crowd for a third straight week as they took on the Shelby County Rockets. Bullitt East went down 7-0 early and was not able to fight all the way back as they only got a field goal later in the game and fell 7-3.

The Chargers are back on the road on Friday, September 21 against the Nelson County Cardinals in a should be bounce back game for the team. Bullitt East has beat the Cardinals in the previous two seasons, both in convincing fashion. Hopefully if the Chargers win, it will be able to give the team a boost and finish the season strong and give themselves a good position for postseason play.