Halloween in the Halls is Coming

Morgan Harbolt

Juniors prepare for Halloween in the Halls.

Morgan Harbolt, Creative Editor

It’s spooky season and students know what that means: Halloween in the Halls.

Clear your calendar because the annual trick-or-treating event, Halloween in the Halls, will take place this Thursday, Oct. 25.

Halloween in the Halls is a major event for the school. Students who participate look forward to it every year. It is a great way for the community to come together and celebrate the holiday in a safe environment.

The competition between the seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen continues on. The best hallway will get the bragging rights and house points. This year the different themes will be: seniors with the zoo and mickey mouse clubhouse, juniors with superheroes and villains, sophomores with dinosaurs and candy land and freshmen with hollywood and sports. The different classes have been preparing for the big night since the beginning of October.

Student participation is key to a successful night. Throughout the month, students have been meeting in their homerooms, staying after school and bringing in supplies and candy. Candy is a big deal, the school needs loads and loads of candy to hand out to all the trick-or-treaters. There are incentives for students to donate it. Four bags of candy is equal to one service hour that can go towards Beta Club, National Honors Society and graduation requirements. Some teachers have also offered extra credit to students who bring in candy.

Students can also get service hours for donating their time to help out. They can either help set up the event, work the event, clean up the event or do all three. Those aren’t the only reasons students are involved in the event though. Senior Charisma Cornell said, “I like to give back to the community and seeing all the kids have a good experience is rewarding.”

Teachers are also a major factor in the event. Headmasters for each house give up their after school hours and their own money to make the event great. Math teacher Kristy Tinelli said, “When I started doing it eight years ago it wasn’t a very big event. There was only 300-500 kids that showed up, but we grew it over the years to more like 1500-1700 trick-or-treaters. So now I just kinda don’t want to let it fail.”

Parents and their kids look forward to this event every year. Senior Keiley Sewell said, “I think that this is a great place to bring your kids because everything is safe here. We have a whole lot of different areas that the kids go through that you know are going to be okay for them to participate in. Also that the candy is going to be fine and they won’t have to worry about allergy problems or anything like that.”

Secretary Momma Jo said, “I bring my granddaughter every year. It is just so much fun for the little kids and watching my grandkids walk through the halls, I mean their little eyes light up and number one, they’re in a high school and that’s so cool. Number two, our kids are just so good to them. Everybody here when they go through are complementary, they make sure they comfortable and they aren’t scared. It’s just a really great feel good moment.”

Students who are now high schoolers helping put the event together used to be the little trick-or-treaters filled with enthusiasm walking through the decorated halls. Momma Jo said, “I have students who are now bringing their kids and they worked it when they were kids and they had fun and right now to my knowledge it’s one of the absolute best events in the community that I think anybody does. It’s just people be good to each other and letting the kids have fun.”

The school will be celebrating the thirteenth annual Halloween in the Halls this year, and it is expected to be a great turnout once again.