Redzone Rowdies are Rowdier than Ever

Morgan Renneisen, Staff Writer

The student section shows out at every game, but what goes on in it is something that not everyone knows. 

Students, staff and people outside the school show up for Friday night football games. Themes are decided for the RedZone and signs are made to hold up for the players. Students file in hours before the start of the game to seal their spot for the game. 

Each year, the RedZone is a little bit different. This is due to senior leaders graduating and new leaders stepping in to fill the shoes. Although the student section usually has senior leaders, last year’s junior class played a big role, especially during basketball season. When football season rolled around, it was only fitting for the new senior class to bring the same energy for Friday night lights. 

The RedZone has been very successful this year and even caught the attention of Best Kentucky Student Sections on twitter. This account chooses the best of the best student sections in Kentucky for each season. Last year, the RedZone was recognized as an honorable mention for one of the basketball student sections. Best Kentucky Student Sections announced that they were going to send a representative to see the student section at the homecoming game against cross-county rival Bullitt Central. Many students took to social media to promote the game and get as many people there as possible. 

Students brought signs and confetti guns to cheer on the team and show out for Best Kentucky Student Sections. The students were very loud and involved during the entire game. Although there were many people there, there was a little bit of tension in the student section throughout the game. 

There were some students who were throwing water as a way of celebrating when the team did something good. The water was going everywhere and some people were getting annoyed with it. This was very similar to the issue that the student section has had with throwing baby powder in the past few years. Some people weren’t very happy when water was thrown on them out of nowhere. 

Aside from the issues with water and baby powder, the issue of where to sit also causes some tension at football games. This is something that seems to happen at every game, not just the homecoming game. Typically, seniors get spots in the front row along the fence. Usually, seniors aren’t the only ones who want to be in the front so the fence gets very crowded. A lot of times, people will get pushed off the fence or will be told to move down so that certain people can get their spot on the fence. 

Even though there are some things that happen that cause conflict in the student section, it is ultimately a great environment and experience for students. At the end of the day, it is a part of high school that is going to be remembered for the positives. The RedZone never fails to disappoint and this year it is special. So many students are involved and care about cheering on our teams, which is something that should never be taken for granted. It is important to enjoy every game even if some things are happening that you don’t like very much.