2020 Seniors and Their Transition Into College

Colton Harbolt, Staff Writer

Last year’s seniors have moved on to college and started a new chapter of their life.

Many of last year’s graduates have moved on from high school to college and they already miss all the time they spent at Bullitt East but are adjusting to the new college lifestyle and experience. College compared to high school is already very different and this year, including the changes and regulations that have been placed on every college due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Lilly Whitley (right) with one of her sisters from Chi Omega at the University of Kentucky.

“I left a big part of my life at Bullitt East and I definitely miss it a lot. Bullitt East was such a great place for me to grow as a learner as well as a person,” former student Lilly Whitley said, who is attending the University of Kentucky. This school was an amazing place for students to prepare for their life after high school, including college. These graduates feel that their time spent in high school has left a mark on all of their lives and taught them lessons that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Montrell Page on campus at Georgetown University.

“I was ready, but I didn’t know what to expect,” former student Montrell Page said, who is attending Georgetown University. He plays on the football team. Going into college, it’s a big adjustment from high school and it takes time. Their time in high school prepared the graduates as much as possible, but there are some things that students have to experience on their own, like the transition into college.

“It’s definitely a whole lot different from highschool than I thought going into it,” former student Morgan Harbolt said. Harbolt is attending Western Kentucky University and she learned that college is very different from high school, especially after going to school in a small town.

Morgan Harbolt on campus at Western Kentucky University.

“It’s way different when you go to college and you don’t know anyone and you make new friends,” said Harbolt. When you go to school at BE you’re going to school with the people you’ve grown up with and known for most of your life, so when you make the switch to college, you meet new people and make new friends. 

“The restrictions have made it harder as far as when it comes to online school.” said Harbolt. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many colleges have switched to online learning for most of their classes and if there are any in person classes,

Trent Murphy batting for the University of the Cumberlands Patriots.

masks are required. Online school makes school more difficult because sometimes there are many technical errors and there is only so much a professor can do from behind a screen.

“I have enjoyed college tremendously and my favorite part is baseball of course,” former student Trent Murphy said, who is attending the University of Cumberlands and plays on the baseball team. These graduates so far have had an amazing experience at college, whether it’s playing baseball or football, or just spending time with your friends on campus.