The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Support our Advertisers:

The Girl’s Golf Team Will Be on Par This Season

Amelia Will
Grace Shepard is pictured teeing off on hole 15 at the Bluegrass Invitational.

The change in numbers won’t hold these girls back from a great season.

This season for the girl’s golf team, as opposed to last year’s, will be different because of the change in the team. Around half the team left, some because they were seniors, another for lack of interest.

The current team consists of three girls: a sophomore, junior and senior. They plan to improve not just the physical aspect of the game, but the mental part of it too. With coaching from Larry Steinmetz, a strong understanding of skill will improve the season. “This year’s team has less people. We lost our best player and some others ranging in skill level. Two left because they were seniors. One quit without telling, at least to us players,” a sophomore on the team, Liz Swift said.

Even with a majority of the team being gone, the team still believes it won’t hold them back from having a successful season. “I’ve got a senior, a junior and a sophomore, so we’ll have fun. Obviously, I’d like to expand a little bit but you know, I’ll just individually work with whatever I’ve got in front of me and I think I can do pretty good things,” Girl’s golf coach, Steinmetz said. 

However, that won’t stop them from doing their best to improve, and making this season better than ever. This season, each girl is individually working on their skills to improve not only their scores, but themselves. “I overall have a better attitude when I’m playing. Instead of getting mad when I get a bad shot, like frustration building up, I know to refocus, because I know that every shot I take won’t be my best so just to refocus,” Swift said. “Last year we were just kind of all over the place with scores just because they’re, you know, they were new and a lot of them were trying to figure things out, but this year, just more consistency,” Steinmetz said.

Being the long-time coach of the team, Steinmetz has a certain coaching style to ensure that each player can accomplish their individual goals. “Overall, I’m pretty laid back. I’ve been doing this long enough and I’ve coached doing this long enough and I’ve coached enough different things to understand that golf is hard. So I really try to meet kids halfway, [and] get them the help they need,” Steinmetz said.