The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Support our Advertisers:

Starting A New Season

Kate+Cissel+is+a+senior+on+the+volleyball+team.+She+has+been+playing+since+the+5th+grade.+We+havent+really+where+we+are+from+not+putting+in+work%2C+Cissel+said.+
Milana Ilickovic
Kate Cissel is a senior on the volleyball team. She has been playing since the 5th grade. “We haven’t really where we are from not putting in work,” Cissel said.

A new season is being served up. 

The volleyball team prepares for the 2023 season this fall. 

The team defines their success through the goals they’ve set. While winning is important, the bond between players is valued. Lots of effort is put into bettering the team. 

The volleyball team is looking to get as many wins as possible this year. “I like winning a lot,” Senior Kate Cissell said. However, sometimes it can be difficult going up against more rigorous schools. “We’ve been wanting to beat Mercy for a long time,” Senior Lexi Broughton said. These goals unite the team and bring them closer together. 

Many new bonds and relationships have been formed through being such a close-knit team. “We do a lot of stuff on tournaments, like team bonding and stuff, and I honestly think that helps on the court, like, flowing better together. It makes it easier to trust each other on the court,” Cissell said. The team is proud of how well they are able to work together, and it affects their performance skills greatly. “I feel like we communicate really well, but you can always use more communication. I mean we all saw it, our whole team saw it at Bluegrass, that we play really well together,” Senior Bre Hess said. This bond is something they hope to carry to the underclassmen joining the team. “I feel like it translates to not only playing wise but off the court communication and how we bring each other up and our energy. That really impacts the underclassman, like how we want the younger generations to become when they are seniors too.” Cissell said. Their commitment to the team strengthens this bond. 

Hard work and dedication are something the team really values. “We haven’t really gotten where we are from not putting in work. So all of us, at least the seniors, put 100% effort into every practice, whether it’s conditioning or warming up for just playing Queens, we always work at what we do 100%” Cissell said. The underclassmen joining the team this year are no different and want to devote themselves to the team as well.  “They’re the future of what we are now, Varsity and a lot of them are already there. So if they keep pushing they could definitely be where we are now.” Hess said.