The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Support our Advertisers:

Scooping Up Support

Isaiah Phyer Wright
Jeff Douglas, Owner and Operator of Scoops N’ Such.

Dreams Do Come True.

Jeff Douglas, a newer member of the Mount Washington community, fulfills his dreams of owning an ice cream shop while serving his community at the same time.

“I think the residents of Mount Washington definitely support local business,” said Owner and Operator of the local “Scoops N’ Such” in Mount Washington, Kentucky, Jeff Douglas. Where most would see simply a growing town, Douglas saw a gap in the market for something many in the community wanted most in their small town. In order to keep the excitement and dreams alive in an innovative and creative way, Douglas tells all about new upcoming plans for flavors.

“Personally I’ve been told how much the members of the community wanted an ice cream shop and how happy they are that we moved here,” Douglas said. Before the arrival of “a homemade profit” that was “different than what was being offered” most residents went to Dairy Queen for their fill of a tasty treat. Five weeks after opening and selling out within a week Douglas has customers lined out his door ready for the product he has devoted his time and effort into making special every time.

Mount Washington is a town with few areas for sitting down and enjoying a wonderful meal with one’s family and friends. To Douglas, this is unacceptable. Being a family man with seven kids, he values no time more so than his family time. To make sure everyone can enjoy his products together with their families, Douglas says he’s committed to working towards making ice cream for every dietary restriction. One of Douglas’ initial ideas was to put a “no cell phone” sign in front of the store to hammer this point in. Despite its absence Douglas still sees many people entering the store and enjoying a treat around his tables focused on their loved ones.

With a store that has flavors constantly in rotation and new ideas for recipes, the question of what’s next is always prominent. Douglas revealed that he had asked whether or not customers would prefer “chocolate chips in their coffee ice cream,” and when customers agreed, he added them. “That’s direct customer feedback,” according to Douglas, something he strives for. In this stride, he is going for what the people want in their lives and he has just the thing for it. “I’m working on a Little Debbie flavor of the month,” Douglas said about his new monthly flavor. “Our first flavor should either be zebra cake or cosmic brownie,” Douglas adds that it takes time to prepare for such unique flavors but he feels as though it’s something he can do to boost the diversity and uniqueness of his flavors.

View Comments (3)